As FedEx Truck Accidents Increase, Know What To Do After One
Accidents involving FedEx trucks have dramatically increased over the years. Perhaps this is because so many more people are shopping online today. Or, maybe it is because FedEx has an estimated annual revenue of $84 billion and they continue to try to maximize those profits. Regardless of the reason, accidents involving FedEx trucks are serious and they result in catastrophic injuries. Below, our San Antonio UPS and FedEx truck accident lawyer outlines the sharp increase in these crashes, as well as what you should do if you are involved in one.
Alarming Stats About FedEx Accidents
According to recent data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were 2,766 accidents involving FedEx trucks between November 2020 and October 2022. Of these crashes, 71 involved a fatality and another 893 caused serious injuries. That averages out to one accident every day, and a fatal accident every other week.
Although the stats regarding FedEx accidents across the country are alarming, the numbers on these crashes are not much better in Texas. Some of the most serious FedEx accidents that have occurred in Texas over just the past year are as follows:
- A FedEx truck hit a concrete barrier on I-35E in Lewisville in December of 2021. It caught fire after flipping on its side.
- In February of 2022, a driver of a FedEx truck lost control of the vehicle after traveling over slick ice and crashed into another accident at a high speed on the I-35W in Fort Worth. Dozens were hurt in the pileup and six people were killed.
- In September of 2022, a FedEx truck and school bus collided on 183A in Leander. The bus driver, bus monitor, and a student received treatment in the hospital.
- A FedEx truck rolled over on the I-25 in Buda in November of 2022. All lanes except two were shut down for more than an hour.
Clearly, FedEx accidents are very common. They are also very serious and result in serious injuries, so it is important to know what to do if you are involved in one.
What to Do After a FedEx Accident
You may be entitled to financial compensation after a FedEx accident. The steps you take afterward can help ensure you receive the maximum settlement possible. The steps to take after a FedEx accident are as follows:
- Report the accident to police, even if you do not think the crash resulted in injuries (Report any pain/discomfort to the police officer(s).
- Take photos of all damage to all vehicles involved (not just your own vehicle)
- Obtain the contact information of witnesses (name, number, address (investigating officers rarely include this information in their police report).
- Obtain contact information for the truck driver, and the trucking company.
- Obtain a copy of the at-fault driver’s insurance card and driver’s license.
- Do not post on social media about the crash (Example: “Look what happened, but I’m okay…” – this will later be taken out of context to make it seem like you did not sustain any injuries when you really meant you survived the crash).
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Do not speak to the insurance company until you have spoken to a lawyer.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible to obtain legal advice.
Our UPS and FedEx Truck Accident Lawyer in San Antonio Can Help You Get Justice
If you have been hurt in an accident with any commercial vehicle, you need sound legal advice. At the Law Office of Israel Garcia, our San Antonio UPS and FedEx truck accident lawyer can provide it and help you obtain the full and fair settlement you are entitled to. Call us now at 210-529-9999 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.