Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
San Antonio Truck Accident Lawyer > Blog > What to do Next > Should I CALL 911 After a Car Accident?

Should I CALL 911 After a Car Accident?


In the U.S., you’re taught to call 911 in case of emergency, but not for minor incidents. For instance, if you are hurt in an accident and you, a family member, or friend can drive to the emergency room, then there may not be a need to call 911. However, there are many gray areas and what happens when you aren’t sure if it’s appropriate to call? The police might be helpful, yet not entirely necessary. Car accidents often lead to situations where you ask yourself, should I call 911? To decide yes or no, you’ll need to answer a few questions quickly.

If you were hurt in an accident, you should immediately seek appropriate medical treatment, but then contact Attorney Israel Garcia from the Law Office of Israel Garcia at 210-LAW-9999 or 210.529.9999 to schedule a consultation today.

Is Anyone Hurt?

If you or anyone is injured in the car crash, call 911. This is the fastest way to report the accident and get emergency medical help on the way. Even if you think an injury is minor, call 911. Unless you’re a physician, you are not going to recognize signs of a more serious injury. For instance, it’s common for your chest and back to hurt after a crash because of the force against the seat belt. However, you might not realize you have a broken bone, fracture, disc herniation, traumatic brain injury, or worse.

Is There Considerable Damage?

You should always call 911 to record the occurrence of the accident and a documented police report at the scene of the accident.

Is the Accident Blocking Traffic?

If any of the vehicles involved is blocking traffic and cannot be safely moved, then you should call 911. Also, if you can see that there is gasoline, glass, or other debris on the ground that could create a hazard for other motorists or pedestrians, contact 911. The police will need to come to the scene of the accident and direct traffic or close the road.

Is the Other Driver Showing Signs of Intoxication?

If you are hit by another driver and they show signs of being intoxicated, such as slurring their words or lack of coordination, call 911. You do not want a drunk driver getting back into their car and heading on their way. Also, if the other driver is in fact on drugs or over the legal limit, then you want the police to arrest the person for a DUI. This gives you evidence of the other driver’s fault and can help later on with your legal claim.

Contact Our Lawyers for Help

If you were hurt in a car accident, please call the experienced Personal Injury Legal team at the Law Office of Israel Garcia and Attorney Israel Garcia will ensure that you get your questions answered during this difficult time. Call 210-LAW-9999 or 210.529.9999 to schedule a consultation immediately and avoid lost evidence. After calling 911, we can help you navigate an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit for your injuries and property damage.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn